Mount Croix Animal Clinic`s Eukanuba Puppy School
Puppies are born not knowing how to behave in human society.
Humans are born not knowing how to behave towards their dogs. A clash of misunderstandings occur. Unpleasantries like punishment from the owner, or biting from the dog happen !!!
Both owner and dog need to be taught acceptable behaviour towards each other.
The good news is the younger the puppy, the quicker they learn.
As for humans, "you can teach an old dog/human new tricks"!
Early training will avoid bad habits from forming in the future.
The sooner you start, the easier it will be for you and your pup. The training is for YOU the owner while your puppy socialises with the other pups in the class.
How early can you start? Your puppy may only attend 10 days AFTER its second vaccination for the safety of your pup and the other pups in the class.
We highly recommend the following:
- 1st vaccination done at 6 weeks
- 2nd vaccination done 3-4 weeks thereafter.
The course runs over 4 consecutive Tuesday or Wednesday evenings (depending on which age group you attend)
Classes are taught inside the Mount Croix Animal Hospital Practice building so the course is not weather dependant.
The two classes are divided into the following age groups:
Tuesday 19:00 - 20:00 2-3 month puppies - maximum of 6 puppies
Wednesday 19:00 - 20:00 4-6 month old puppies - maximum of 4 puppies
The cost is R400 /per puppy/ per course paid in cash at the first lesson and is non-refundable.
- Children are encouraged to attend.
- Booking is essential as numbers are limited.
Subjects covered during the puppy training classes are:
- understanding how dogs learn and process their environment
- understanding how we indirectly teach our dogs to behave inappropriately
- good doggy manners and teaching "soft" bite
- how to toilet train your pup effectively
- health issues eg vaccinations, tick & flea control,spays, castrates, grooming etc
- explaining different walking aides eg.collars and harnesses, appropriate toys
- Classes are run by Charnelle Oliver who is a qualified Animal Behaviour Practitioner and registered Eukanuba Puppy School trainer. She has been emplyed at our practice since 2004 and has a passion for educating out clients in healthy dog -care practises.
- Remember that you will be having a relationship for the next 10-15 years with your dog - why not start the journey understanding your companion from the beginning?